Originally the company was founded by five (5) prior IBM employees in 1972 who wanted to create a real-time business data system. The first name chosen for the company was not Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung (or SAP) but instead, what we know today as the company SAP was originally called Systemanalyse und Programmentwicklung or in English, Systems analysis and program development. The company name, and the ERP software application name of SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products (Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung, in the original German) in Data Processing. It uses the concept of modules (“individual programs that can be purchased, installed, and run separately, but that all extract data from the common database”). SAP AG, the company that provides the enterprise resource planning solution has upgraded the package and launched it as SAP ECC 6.0 in 2005. ECC stands for ERP Central Component. The purpose of positioning it as ECC is to enable SAP to build and develop an environment of other products that can function upon the foundation of the central component.
SAP’s ERP solution includes several modules that support key functional areas – some of them are:
- SAP ERP Financials
- SAP ERP Logistics
- SAP ERP Human Resource Management Systems
Facts about SAP
- Largest Independent software supplier in the world.
- Available in 14 languages.
- 45% of SAP customers world wide are under $300 millions.
- 8 of the top 10 highest profit US companies use SAP software.
- More than 92,000 customers in the world have chosen SAP.
- SAP has 16 millions end users world wide.
- SAP has a close to 2 million SAP professionals.
Basically SAP offers 3 openings:-
A) Technical Consultants
B) Functional Consultants
C) New Dimensional Consultant
A) Technical Modules:
- ABAP (Programming)
- BASIS (Installation and Networking)
- BIW (Business Information Warehousing)
- BI(Business Intelligence)
B) Functional Modules:
- FI/CO (Finance and Controlling)
- HR (Human Resource)
- PP (Production Planning)
- MM (Material Management)
- SD (Sales and Distribution)
- PM (Plant Maintenance)
- PS (Project System)
- QM (Quality Management)
C) New Dimensional :
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- SCM (Supply Chain Management)
- SEM (Strategic Enterprise Management)
- APO (Advanced Planner Optimizer)
- EP (Enterprise Portal)
- SRM (Supplier Relationship Management)
- XI (Exchange Infrastructure)
- IS Retail (Industry Specific Retail)